Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team
Wasdale MRT has been assisting people in the western fells of the Lake District for over 50 years. Their ‘professional volunteers’ respond to over one hundred calls for help each year, each giving their time to help those in need, whatever the weather, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team was awarded capital funding to construct a new modern, fit for purpose base, which more effectively meets the needs of the team members and enables enhanced service delivery.
The Wasdale Team is one of 6 Mountain Rescue Teams in Cumbria and the only team to have a base in Copeland. Each team has its’ own operational area but all the teams work in partnership as and when necessary to meet the requirements of individual callouts and ensure adequate resources for the task.
The new base also has benefits for partner organisations e.g. easier accessibility, enhanced communications, welfare and training facilities. The team works in partnership with a number of public and charity sector partners:
- Cumbria Police
- HM Coastguard
- North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Great North Air Ambulance
- Cumbria Fire and Rescue
The layout of the new base includes:
- Garage for three vehicles and a boat
- Control room
- General office (multi-function room; can also be used as a bedroom, interview room, relatives’ room, prayer room)
- Drying room
- Gearing up and locker room
- Storage rooms
- Toilets, with disabled access & shower room
- Storage rooms
- Training room that can also be used as a briefing room / command room.
- Large parking area
- Landing area
- Stretcher rig tower
- Wash down area for equipment
- Provision of a modern, fit for purpose base which more effectively meets needs of team members e.g. welfare and training facilities, and enhances ability of team to recruit new volunteers therefore increasing number of volunteer hours.
- Base will enable more effective service delivery and therefore enhance the service offered.
- Raise team's profile in the community and enhance fundraising ability.