Home To Work (Skills 4 You)
Skills 4 You is a project hosted by Home to Work. The Project was established to meet the needs of the unemployed in Copeland. Offering long term unemployed and hard to reach benefit claimants the chance to engage in real life work settings to develop practical skills while addressing other barriers to employment.
Skills 4 You currently offer a safe environment for individuals to actively engage in real-life work situations such as their Wood Workshop or Craft Room, gaining skills that can be transferred to a future working environment. They offer practical skills development with a choice of activities and address employment needs, expectations and progression routes.
Skills 4 You assist and inspire engagement in the social aspects of life to support mental health and well-being and eventually employment. Using knowledgeable staff and with partner agencies they enable learners to identify barriers and work towards finding solutions where possible.
The grant awarded is to support the staffing and other running costs to enable the wide range of activities currently provided including:
- Wood work
- Personal & social development
- ‘Goodlives’ growing project
- Cleator Moor Community Garden
- Cooking and Nutrition
- Skills at Home
- Community shop
- Adoption of 2 x local train stations
- Community service (litterpicks & sign cleaning)
- Get connected
- Fareshare food deliveries / COVID Helpline Management/ Winter Warner project
- Support education and skills development
- Provide support to improve well-being
- Small group numbers, ensuring that everyone has the chance to voice issues
- Identify barriers and work towards solutions.
- Actively encourage individuals to engage with activities, praise positive outputs and discuss negative ones.
- Build confidence and motivation.
- Improve skills.
- Improve self-esteem and well-being.