CBC – Prevention Support
This project is to continue to employ the Prevention & Crisis Officer for a further three years when the current funding ceases in December 2019. Evidence held by Copeland Borough Council showed that many clients presenting as homeless, or at risk of homelessness, were doing so due to domestic abuse. The Prevention and Crisis Support Officer post was created in January 2018 following a successful Cumbrian district bid to MHCLG for funding to tackle domestic abuse in the County.
The crisis prevention project will secure the continued provision of vital support to victims of domestic abuse and/or sexual exploitation who are threatened with homeless or who have already left their settled housing to escape an abusive situation.
Housing related support to clients from the time they engage until they feel able to cope with their new accommodation and day to day life The support provided by the dedicated officer may involve arranging furnishings and connection of utilities for new accommodation to attending GP appointments, facilitating counselling sessions or accompanying clients on shopping trips until they gain the confidence to move on independently.
The grant awarded funds the Crisis Prevention Officer salary to:
- Prevent homelessness for those affected by domestic abuse
- Reduce repeat presentations for homelessness due to domestic abuse by 25%
- Ensure access to the necessary support to enable clients to leave their current situation and lead a healthier and safer life
- Raise awareness that Domestic Abuse
- Work with the Women’s Centre to complement their provision
- Raise the profile of the Prevention and Crisis Support Officer within the Local Authority and wider partnerships.
- Investigate and map gaps in provision
- Develop a strategic approach, to address any gaps in provision
- Families will be lifted out of abusive situations.
- Awareness of domestic abuse will be raised in the Borough, including addressing of myths.
- Results of investigations into gaps in provision and mapping of network will be identified through feedback from partner organisations and their clients.
- A strategic response will be created to address the gaps in provision. These will be included in an evaluation paper.